Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: How place/access a file outside of document Root?
WorkTheWeb Forums > Web Hosting Help > PHP Help
Support our Sponsors!
earthrisers
I've been following the thread entitled "Hiding .inc.php files, Securing include files".

The "Apache Password Wizard" gives this advice near the end of its process...
---------------
It is extremely important that you prefix the file name with a "period", otherwise the file may be accessed from the web browser. Additionally, place this file outside of your DOCUMENT ROOT if possible.
----------------
Our "public_html" folder is the Document Root, isn't it?

If we place our .htpasswd file OUTSIDE of the public_html folder, what is the path to use to access it?
...i.e., the path that we have to specify in .htaccess, in the code
AuthUserFile /path/to/.htpasswd

(In the code shown in the "Hiding .inc.php files" thread, the writer apparently placed his .htpasswd file INSIDE of public_html. But that goes against the Wizard's advice...??)

Thanks,
Ernie
phpfreak
Ernie,

Yes, it is recommended to put it outside the document root, however Apache will not allow access to anything prefixed with a period, so it's just an added security feature.

Sincerely,
earthrisers
So if we wanted to be DOUBLY secure and put the file outside the root as well as using a period-prefix in the filename, how would we specify the full path?

E
phpfreak
QUOTE(earthrisers @ Mar 16 2005, 12:27 PM)
So if we wanted to be DOUBLY secure and put the file outside the root as well as using a period-prefix in the filename, how would we specify the full path?

E

/full/path/to/file

For example:

/home2/username/path/.htpasswd

earthrisers
thanks be unto you.
I'll go try that...

E

PHP Help | Linux Help | Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | SSL Hosting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.