Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Propagating question
WorkTheWeb Forums > Web Hosting Help > General Hosting Questions
Support our Sponsors!
noe0729
I transfered my registry and domain hosting to WHF. Do I need to cancel my old hosting service before it can propagate on the internet?
phpfreak
QUOTE(noe0729 @ Feb 28 2005, 01:46 PM)
I transfered my registry and domain hosting to WHF.  Do I need to cancel my old hosting service before it can propagate on the internet?

What I recommend is that you login to your current registrar as soon as you sign up with us and get the welcome email. From there, you set your nameservers so that the domain can start pointing to us. Then you complete the transfer.

If you transferred your domain, you should have received an authorization email to the email address you registered that domain with. In that email, you will have to click a link and authorize the transfer.

Once the transfer is complete, and you confirm that your website is pointing to our servers, then you can cancel your old hosting.

intouch247
The simple answer here is "no".

If you have properly changed the DNS server information with your domain registrar, your domain will propagate to the new server.

You should not cancel your old hosting service until your domain is resolving to the new servers.

Good luck ...

phpfreak
QUOTE(intouch247 @ Feb 28 2005, 03:02 PM)
The simple answer here is "no".

If you have properly changed the DNS server information with your domain registrar, your domain will propagate to the new server.

You should not cancel your old hosting service until your domain is resolving to the new servers.

Good luck ...

Yes, you are right. You don't need to cancel the hosting for the change to take place, however I was referring to the best method to prevent downtime during the domain transfer.

noe0729
I had to e-mail my old hosting service to get them to change my DNS server. They have no means for me to change it myself. Now I just have to wait for them to respond.
phpfreak
QUOTE(noe0729 @ Feb 28 2005, 03:16 PM)
I had to e-mail my old hosting service to get them to change my DNS server.  They have no means for me to change it myself.  Now I just have to wait for them to respond.

Ouch, you should still be able to login through the registrar and change it. I don't believe it's legally allowed to restrict access to your domain name. You own the domain,they sold it to you, and by the Terms of Service that they have to adhere to by the domain registrar (who they are reselling for) they have to let you access your domain name.

Good luck, keep us posted. If you have any problems, let us know and we'll put the smack down for you!

noe0729
Well, it was registered through bulk register. When I tried to create an account to log on and change it they wanted a $49 membership fee. Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent. That's when I e-mailed the hosting service and they said they would put a request in.
phpfreak
QUOTE(noe0729 @ Feb 28 2005, 03:31 PM)
Well, it was registered through bulk register.  When I tried to create an account to log on and change it they wanted a $49 membership fee.  Not gonna do it, wouldn't be prudent.  That's when I e-mailed the hosting service and they said they would put a request in.

Now, with phrases like that, you're gonna get nick-named "Dubya"!

Did you not get a transfer request from Enom at your cox.net email address? Just curious, you should be able to allow the domain transfer to go through, and when it does, we'll set the nameservers to point to our hosting.
noe0729
I was confused with your first reply because I could not find the Enom e-mail until I looked at my "who is" information.

I no longer use the cox.net e-mail.

Is there any way I can get Enom to send another e-mail to my auab.centaf.af.mil e-mail?

-Dustin
phpfreak
QUOTE(noe0729 @ Feb 28 2005, 04:00 PM)
I was confused with your first reply because I could not find the Enom e-mail until I looked at my "who is" information.

I no longer use the cox.net e-mail.

Is there any way I can get Enom to send another e-mail to my auab.centaf.af.mil e-mail?

-Dustin

Unfortunately, you can't do that. No registrar will transfer a domain unless the email address on the domain itself approves it. You'll have to contact your old host who has control of your domain name and ask them to change your email address AND your nameservers, then we'll initiate the transfer request again.
noe0729
OK, they updated everything. I ran a who is search and my e-mail is current and the nameservers are pointed at WHF. They also said that the transfer guard is disabled. I think we are ready to do this thing. cool.gif
phpfreak
QUOTE(noe0729 @ Feb 28 2005, 05:28 PM)
OK, they updated everything.  I ran a who is search and my e-mail is current and the nameservers are pointed at WHF.  They also said that the transfer guard is disabled.  I think we are ready to do this thing. cool.gif

Good deal, looking at the nameservers they had on your domain, I don't see why they would rip you off. smile.gif

Anyways, I'll wait till the transfer fails, then send it again.

Sincerely,
noe0729
This was my first ever transfer. I learned quite a bit from it. Thanks for keeping me "posted." smile.gif
phpfreak
QUOTE(noe0729 @ Feb 28 2005, 05:49 PM)
This was my first ever transfer.  I learned quite a bit from it.  Thanks for keeping me "posted." smile.gif

Not a problem, we're all here to learn!

PHP Help | Linux Help | Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | SSL Hosting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2005 Invision Power Services, Inc.