Help - Search - Member List - Calendar
Full Version: Flash and ADA comliancy
WorkTheWeb Forums > Webmaster Resources > Macromedia Flash
Support our Sponsors!
Some hothead woman wrote an emai to me about one of my sites, saying that she was sorry that I had elected to use Flash, since Flash is not ADA-compliant (Americans with Disabilities Act).

I have NO idea what she is talking about. Can someone please explain to me what Flash has to do with disabiltiies? Thank you.

Accessibility, accessibility, accessibility. There is lot of good information about Accessibility right here at Macromedia website entirely. I believe that Macromedia is the only software developer devote lot of its
manpower and tools to make sure that their applications are included for accessibility, including more precise
detailed information about Accessibility, how to code and how to make your HTML or Flash-based more accessible to individual with disability particularly with visual impaired. Also, did you know that Macromedia also included some of its flash-based included "closed captioned" technology (I believe it is thirdparty software plug-in). I strongly encourage you to take a look and learn. Bob Regan is considered to be expertise in that area about accessiblity issues. Bob Regan is Macromedia employee. Hope that helps!

Thank you, but this web site to which she referred has a few Flash animations and that's about it! It's not Flash-based or anything else.

What happens to a visually impaired person when they encounter Flash content?

My mother-in-law is visually impaired (macular degeneration) and using the computer for anything was too frustrating for her. She prefers large-print text. Is there a large percentage of the visually-impaired population who elect to use the Internet for information purposes? I would love to know statistics.

Incidentally, I could find NONE of the accessibility information to which you referred, on the Macromedia site. That's why I came here. I did a search on google and likewise, could find no information about what exactly makes Flash inaccessible to anyone, unless they just plain don't have the Player installed.

Thank you.

You need to dig further. I take that you are NOT willing to take a hard look at Flash. Why don't you sit down and read information. Post some question at Macromedia Blog that I have included. I bet you that someone will respond with better information than I do. But THERE is a way to include some fundamental code to help explain a brief self-explanationary info about Flash file itself in your HTML code. If you refuse to take my words, then I cannot help you. Good luck and please adjust with your attitude. Have a nice day!

If you did take a look at the first link I have included above in this thread disussion earlier, this could be of an answer for you with solutions at http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/acces...features/flash/. Hope that helps this time around. Again, good luck!

As for hard core statisics, it is so hard to estimate that way. (shakes my head) You are making me a bit disappointed with your attitude.

I apologize for making you quite annoyed; that is not my intent at all.

As web designers, don't we do our best to design sites that will be easily accessible? I am finding it very difficult to get information about this issue and I thank you for your input. I WILL read it all.

There is so much to know and learn and only so many hours in the day. I'm sure most would agree that it is IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone or meet every individual need. This is the first I have heard about Flash being ADA non-compliant.

Does everyone except me take these issues into consideration when creating their webs? If so, how come there are so many Flash sites out there?

Thank you for your input.

I agree with you in many aspect of your view. It is difficult to please everyone on both sides in the eyes of able-bodied and disabled societies.

As for your question, why didn't web designers design best website to be accessible? Because not every web designers or developers are exposed to disability or accessible issues. Once someone is being exposed to that, their view will change signficantly. Let me give you an example. Let's say if someone was recently involved in bad car accident and driver had broken left arm and both legs. This injured person quickly realized that he or she is experiencing temporary disability. This person quickly recognized unfamiliar area of disability issues, inaccessible buildings, inaccessible public "whatever" places such as resturants, libraries, funeral homes, so on... or whatever that arise or encounter this temporary disabled person on the wheelchair. So, naturaly, this person's view changed somewhat based on that experience.

It is just that web designers didn't know because of unfamiliar or unexposure experience as abled-bodied society.

To better understand these unfamiliar issues, why don't you try put in ear plugs in both of your ears, and experience it for ONE month. First few minutes, you quickly realize the issues I am facing on a daily basis. As a deaf person, you have to rely on your eyes, hands and legs.

To better understand inaccessible flash-based website, why not wearing glasses covered with plastic wrapper. So you experience not clear vision... and take a hard look at web browser's flash content with that glasses filled with two or three layers of plastic wrapper attached. You quickly realize the issue right on the spot.

Be creative and try as disabled person and examine on everything facing visual imparied Internet users.

Unfortunately, we live in most ideal abled-bodied society domination. That is why I had mentioned about the term "ingorance" earlier part of this thread discussion. When we are talking about accessibility, disability and the like, it is very dangerous term "ingorance" simply to ingore this fact.

Yes, I agree with you in terms of information about accessibility and disability issues can be cumbersome and heavy for people like yourself. All we ask you to be at least understanding, be willing to adapt, be willing to accommodating and at least be having open-mind to anything new.

Finally, you have come to the right place: right here at Macromedia online user forums to get some help. In additional to Marcomedia, you have made a right decision to use Flash and everything. So when it comes down to some overlooked area such as inaccessible Flash site experienced by this lady you mentioned in your first posted message, it opens up your view and understanding.

I remember few months ago (I can't really recall how many months ago, but suspect probably more than few months ago...), some disabled Internet user sued a company about inaccessible site. That company refused to accommodate something... so that led that disabled person to file a lawsuit aganist that company. But I don't know the whole nine yard story and what specific reason as to why or what caused that disabled person to sue NOR why didn't this company refused to offer more accessible website. So, I am pretty sure that there are already few lawsuits or under considerations or in the works about similiar issues.

So, I suspect that we all probably will be hearing this issue that arise. Therefore, it is wise for most web designers and developers, including Flash designers to be aware about this issue... and at least be more sensitive to that thorny and sticky issue.

I think that Macromedia get all credits to prevent this problem from happening. Throw my hat off to Macromedia's effort to make accessibility issue more aware and recognizable. Even though, it is still NEW concept. So is Internet is still new concept. And so everyone else who did not exposed to such issue related to accessibility.

As for Americans with Disabilities Act of Public Law 101-103 (ADA), it was specifically designed for public use which was signed into law by former President G. W. Bush on 26 July 1990 at Rose Garden at White House in Washington, DC. Before ADA passage was enacted into law, Rehabilitation Act of (I think 1972 or early 1970s), was signed into law by President Richard Nixion. This act was designed for federal agencies to include or offer fundamental accessible services applied at Federal and State agencies including state universities, public universities, hosptials and all that. I know it is very very and very broad issue.

As you see, it takes YEARS to shape the society. And general public still even didn't know that there are laws regulation for that matter. Simply put, it is all about education, awareness and responsbility. :)

Laiverd.COM
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/search/i...m=accessibility
http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ge...e/concept4.html
http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/accessibility/

etc.etc.

John

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please reply only to the group, so everyone may share
RESOURCES
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_se...s_ugroup=*flash
http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/flash/
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/tipsubmission...opic_browse.cfm

PHP Help | Linux Help | Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | SSL Hosting
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2006 Invision Power Services, Inc.